Thursday, July 9, 2009

I finally found it!

Now that Ava is an avid reader I have begun to suggest books for her to read that I read as a child. She has read the small version of little women, has read several chapters from Anne of Green Gables, and finished a Baby Sitter's Club book. Of course we have different taste so it's not like she jumps at every book I suggest but she likes for me to tell her about what I read and I like passing on the information. Recently I was thinking about a book I got when I was about 10. My grandparents used to volunteer at a thrift store in Durango and sometimes we got to go there at the end of a shift and pick out a treasure. I fondly remember that store and have made a note to go there again the next time I go to Durango. This particular time I remember going to the store and finding this little square paperback book. I think it cost $.10 and was happy to have something to read. At this point I had read all the kids books at their house and wasn't quite ready to read the older books which I did eventually read. Thankfully they were also avid readers who had a varied taste of literature. Anyway the book I got to read was about a minister and his wife who adopt several children of different races and ages. Eventually they adopt 12 and have a happy little family. I remembered loving the book and rememberes specific parts of it but I could not place the name for the life of me. However since I did remember a few specific parts I turned to the internet with a positive hope that I would be able to find the book. However I was wrong and had no luck at all! Sadden I gave up the search and forgot about the book. Then my interest was renewed when Shane told me about a few sites that would be abel to help me. He even did the search for me and once again I was certain I would find it. Once again I was disappointed. I gave up and figured I would move on to Lois Duncan and Judy Blume.
Then about a week ago I was on e-bay trying to find a book that I had read a long time ago called With Love from Karen. As I was trying to find this book used (yeah used but still costing $65.00 to $105.00) and I stumbled upon this book called The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss. The cover did look familiar but something made me click on the book. When the summary came up I quickly realized this was the book I had been searching for! Better yet it had been, at one time, made into a television series and had a play based on it. Still better was the fact that it is now in reprint!!! What a find or a stumble if you will. I was able to read the first few chapters online and am so thrilled that I will be able to order it. It cracks me up how I found it but I am so glad that I did!!!

No comments: