Thursday, March 11, 2010

New but not really new.

When I went back to work in August the agreement between Shane and I was to try it for a year and if it didn't work for the family I would stop working. It was a scary time for me, finding daycare for Kennedy and Nova and not being there after school to pick up Ava but I was determined to make it work and I did. The daycare, Monte Vista Day Nursery, was great in so many ways. The staff treated the girls wonderfully and I felt very blessed to have found another great place to have my kids in. But then the cold/flu season hit and it hit hard. I knew that the girls would catch a few colds but I was no prepared for the amount they did catch. In general it's not uncommon for kids in daycare to catch between 8-10 colds a year and yeah they mostly happen in fall winter. This is a good thing though as daycare kids tend to miss less school due to colds than those who are new to environment with multiple kids. That being said it's not a good thing when your new to a job and can't get your sick leave built up quick enough. I also didn't expect to be pregnant again so soon after I began working. I will say that everyone at the HSD was wonderful and understanding even when I gave my notice 3 weeks ago. As of March 5 I have once again become a homemaker. This decision was pretty hard for me but the right one for our family. I had been thinking about resigning after the 4 or 5 cold but didn't until the second to the most recent one the girls had. I had to miss another week of work (Shane took of a day the week before and it took him a weekend to make it up) Then after I gave my 2 weeks notice I had to call in sick for the week as the girls and I got the flu bug and Nova ear infections. Talk about being stressed. Now this week was been my first week at home and in a way it's been hard readjusting (6 months of working took it's toll on the housework) plus cramming in the dentist and doc apts we got behind on and a parent teacher conference it's been a busy week. Not to mention the kids adjusting to new schedules (they love sleeping in) me adjusting to less morning stress (I love that part!) and Shane coming home to dinner being made and a clean house. (I think he might be the most happy). For now it's a nice time for the family. I don't regret going to work, I learned a lot about social work and made some great friends and one really great friend and now I look forward to having summer with the kids and getting ready for the new baby. I also look forward to not having to call in when the kids get sick:)

2 comments:

Misty said...

Nat, I'm sorry for you that the girls were always getting sick and you too...I can't imagine how that was to deal with and then work on top. I'm happy that you're okay with the decision and that it was your decision to make. Take care and maybe we'll see eachother now. Hugs,
Misty

The Morris Family said...

I've tried different jobs since having kids and mine never worked either. I love to work but I finally realized maybe my kids needed me more than I needed money :)