Saturday, March 27, 2010

To Kindle or not to Kindle

I am making this new post from my first "own" computer. Someone has caused havoc on Shane's computer (wonder who) and I think he thought it was time that I get the heck of it and have my own. So I picked out a relatively inexpensive but sweet one. My criteria was a bigger screen and a pretty mouse. "Pretty" almost always being the main criteria. But the point of this post was about the Kindle and I'm going to get right to it. Last night Shane was standing near one or a generic version and asked me if I had considered getting one. I said no immediately and he began to explain the pros of one. He is so used to me resisting all technology, (you should have heard the conversation between he and the ATT rep regarding my refusal to get an IPhone) that he knows it takes me a while to embrace new gadgets (unlike himself). So I patiently waited for him to explain about the readers and then when he was done he looked to me and I told him my reason, "I like books with pages you turn and are made of paper." That's it. I like going to the bookstore, picking up a book and turning it over in my hand to read the back cover. I like feeling the pages in my hand. I like flipping through the pages to determine if the writing is a style I like or not. I like everything you find in a bookstore such as the fancy notebooks, the stuffed animals, the coffee, the music, and most of all the ambiance. You simply cannot get that from a machine not matter how fancy they are. I understand all the pros like many books in one, quick access to books, cheaper rates but the pros, for me, are not good enough. So I'll keep my many books that are stored in every possible place at our home, and in storage and I'll leave the Kindle to the rest. Give me a used bookstore, a comfy chair, and a good cup of coffee and I'll give you a perfect afternoon.

No comments: