Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chicken Soup for whose soul?

Well it's been a smelly weekend. Kennedy got sick on Friday, was better yesterday but then got sick again last night and today. I decided she needed homemade chicken soup to heal and set to making it. As I was chopping the onions, carrots, chicken, celery, and potatoes I had a memory back to the good old days of GHS. I came back to school after recovering from the flu and was in history class taking to Scott Gunderson about being sick I guess, (not sure why). Anyway he asked me what my parents did for me when I was sick and I told him that they made me homemade chicken soup. (Our family never was the from a can type and never the chicken noodle type either) Then he asked me what was in and I told him about how my parents made it, (I swear I could salivate right now just thinking about their soup) He told me his mom NEVER cooked. I mean the most she did was microwave a dish or two if they were lucky. They ate out a lot is what he said. As I said I was thinking about this while cooking I started to think more about my parents and myself as a parent and I realized that making Kennedy soup to feel better was as much for me as it is for her. I am pretty helpless here not being able to instantly make her better. I can only be there to hold her hair, to clean up her floor (oh yeah let me tell you how great an idea it was letting Dusty borrow my steam cleaner) and washing several of her stuffed animal that got "attacked". Making her soup made me feel better even if it does little to help her. That being said she does seem better and I had have leftovers ready for lunch tomorrow, (always a good thing) I just want to say a thanks to my parents for always making their kids homemade soup when we were sick. It's nice to be able to carry on a tradition.

1 comment:

Belva Jean said...

I love homemade soup, but don't do it enough.

Hope Kennedy is feeling better with the made with love soup and that no one else has gotten sick.